|
|
Microscope Museum Collection of antique microscopes and other
scientific instruments |
|
|
|
|
Microscope
513 (Carl
Zeiss; Stand IVa; c. 1905)
In
1846, Carl Zeiss opened a workshop for precision mechanics and optical instruments
in Jena. He focused his activities more and more on microscope production.
Soon he was supplying not only the regional market but also shipping his
wares around the world. In 1866, Carl Zeiss recruited the physicist Ernst
Abbe to help him improve his microscopes. In 1877, Ernst Abbe became a
partner in the company. After the passing of Carl Zeiss in 1889, Ernst Abbe
created the Carl Zeiss Foundation, which would become the company’s sole
owner. Since the 1890s, Abbe’s findings and his style of working have also
been adopted in other fields of optics. This led to the creation of all-new
products, new business areas and rapid growth for the company. In 1893, the
first subsidiary was opened in London. Before the outbreak of WWI, sites were
established across the world, which then had to be closed when war broke out.
There were more ups and downs between then and 1945. Thereafter, the sites
outside Germany have been developing in a stable manner and today, Carl Zeiss
AG is a holding company with several subsidiaries. In addition to its sites
in Oberkochen and Jena, its main production sites
are in Wetzlar and Göttingen in Germany, Dublin and
Minneapolis in the US, and Shanghai in China. Microscope 513 is a Carl Zeiss
microscope with the serial number 37255. This instrument is dated to c. 1905.
This instrument is identified as stand IVa in a
Carl Zeiss’s catalogue from 1902 (Figure 1). At some point of its history,
this microscope was retailed by the firm Wallace Heaton Ltd, as suggested by
a label glued on the body tube. Wallace Heaton Ltd was a photographic
retailer based at 119 Bond Street, London, that traded independently from
about 1919 until 1972 when it was bought by Dixons. The company was
originally set up by Wallace Heaton, a pharmacist who over time moved his
business from pharmacy to photography and photographic supplies.
Figure 1. Carl Zeiss’s stand IVa microscope as engraved in the company’s 1902
catalogue. |
|